This week we examine the historic impeachment of Donald Trump, activist Greta Thunberg’s selection as TIME “Person of the Year,” and Boris Johnson’s election win in the UK.
While Micah has been traveling in Europe, things have been business as usual back in the States, with the latest installment of the Star Wars film franchise arriving in theatres (and being outshined by its serial counterpart, The Mandalorian, on Disney’s new streaming service). We also have the final Democratic debates of 2019 exiting on a bang, and controversies surrounding Bernie Sanders’ endorsement–and then retraction–of Young Turks host Cenk Uyger in California.
Also in big news this week had been TIME Magazine’s selection of climate activist Greta Thunberg as the 2019 Person of the Year, which had President Donald Trump up in arms, and taking to Twitter (as usual). Hilarity ensured on late-night television, as rival comedians borrowed jokes from each other (or not?) to create eerily similar skits making fun of the entire affair.
However, the biggest story of the week, and perhaps the entire year of 2019, involves the historic impeachment of Donald Trump, marking only the third time in American history that such a formal impeachment has occurred. However, now that Articles I and II have passed the House, will they ever make it to the Senate? Serious questions linger as to what the next move by Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats will be… and looking back across the pond, Boris Johnson’s big win in the UK has many US politicians asking whether Trump’s reelection won’t be almost inevitable, despite the ongoing impeachment process.
What does Johnson’s win mean for Brexit, and for the future of the UK, and does it foreshadow the outcome of the 2020 election in the US as well?
DOLLARS FOR DONUTS
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Betty June
- Rick Dale
- Daniel Baumberger
- Sascha Neubauer
- Shelli Orlandini
- Robert Westfall
- Robert Walshe
- John Lipartito
- James Malone
- Jessica Riley
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We also offer SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
- THE DARK SIDE: ‘Rise of Skywalker’ is almost here, but a dark side looms
- UNDOING ENDORSEMENTS: Sanders retracts endorsement in US House race after backlash
- AFGHUNNING: U.S. officials misled the public about the war in Afghanistan, confidential documents reveal
- TIMES OF THE SIGNS: Greta Thunberg named TIME person of the year
- AUDIO: Jimmy Kimmel on Trump’s Twitter Response
- AUDIO: Stephen Colbert on Twitter Response
- IMPEACHMENT ARTICLES: President Trump is impeached in a historic vote by the House
- USA TODAY: “A monumental victory against blatant corruption and for democracy”
- POLITICO: “Trump has… made victimhood into a kind of political strength”
- PELOSI’S PLAY: Will Nancy Pelosi’s Gambit to Withhold Impeachment Charges From the Senate Work?
- TULSI IN THE MIDDLE: Tulsi Gabbard Votes ‘Present’ on Impeachment Articles
- Claire McCaskill Blasts Tulsi Gabbard for ‘Present’ Vote: ‘That’s Just Stupid!’
- Tulsi also voted against a Congressional Resolution condemning Assad
- AUDIO: Also said that Assad “is not an enemy of the United States.”
- BORIS THE SPIDER: Johnson claims Brexit mandate with new conservative majority
- AUDIO: “MPs are servants of the people” Boris Johnson gives speech in North East
- Victorious Boris urges Britain to move past Brexit divide
- Protesters march on Downing Street
- EU warns of post-Brexit rival Britain
- Scotland eyes exit
- Biden seizes on crushing defeat as proof only centrist can win
- Similar: Trump sees incumbent Johnson’s UK win as ‘harbinger of what’s to come’ in US
- Anti-Semitism and Brexit: Shattered dreams of global far-left revolution
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.