As 2019, and an entire decade draws to a close, we look at cultural trends and events in relation to George Orwell’s influential novel, 1984, and its impact on Western thought.
This week, we look at Christmas and New Year traditions, and how the evolution of ideas and shifting attitudes affect the way we perceive and appreciate them. We also examine news about a new Russian superweapon that recently became operational, capable of traveling at 27 times the speed of sound, as well as odd reports of drone fleets seen flying over Colorado. Are we entering a real-life era of “Star Wars”?
We also look at many of the big trends in technology of the last year, along with those which were expected to arrive by 2020, but didn’t, and a few of the most unusual and ironic clips in politics and current events of the last 12 months. Then, in the final segment, we turn our attention toward George Orwell’s landmark novel, 1984, which defined an era with its discussion of surveillance and propaganda. Some commentators have argued that the 2010s are the period in history that most closely matches the dystopia that Orwell imagined (and warned about), which we examine in this final 2019 edition of the podcast.
DOLLARS FOR DONUTS
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Jessica Zuccarelo
- Mark Hankins
- Brian Davis
- Ali Buchan
- Jamie Craven
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We also offer SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
- STAR WARS: Politico: The Empty Politics of Star Wars (2015)
- To truly understand the Brexit debacle, look to Star Wars (2017)
- ATTACK OF THE DRONES: “Weird and concerning”: Mystery drone sightings continue in Colorado, into Nebraska
- RED SCARE: New Russian weapon can travel 27 times the speed of sound
- POOR PREDICTIONS: Flying Cars, Hyperloops and the Other 2020 Tech Predictions That Didn’t Pan Out
- TOP OF THE CROP: Grabien News’ Top Soundbytes of the Year
- THE 2010s: ERA OF ORWELL: 2010s = 1984: The decade we finally understood Orwell
- UN gives green light to draft treaty to ‘combat cybercrime’
FOUR MOORE YEARS: Michael Moore Predicts 2020 Trump Victory: Trump’s Support “Has Not Gone Down One Inch”
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.