This week on Middle Theory, we look at how modern “tribalism” influences political attitudes, as well as recent controversies involving 2020 Presidential hopeful and former Vice President Joe Biden.
Leading things off, newly released photos from early U2 spy plane missions are now helping archaeologists… and on the subject of “spy games,” we touch on how Prince William was recently tapped by British intelligence for a brief stint on the streets… well, sort of. We also explain why our very own McNonymous may be a better candidate for intelligence work and covert spying. We also touch on a mysterious illness being reported by the New York Times, and what this has to do with our fascination with zombies, and more importantly, our concerns about diseases like Ebola, and more broadly, “doomsday scenarios” that speculate about what would happen to humanity in the event that the fecal matter ever really did hit the fan. Would humanity survive such threats, and more importantly, could we survive each other?
On the subject of human conflict, we then look at a recent PBS News Hour poll which finds that people are more polarized and prone to ‘tribalism.” In fact, humans have largely evolved in a way that makes political partisanship a part of who we are… which can be problematic when it comes to things like politics, and the ever-controversial Mueller Report.
Then in the latter half of the program, we look at recent controversies that include Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez being accused of affecting a “southern accent” during a recent speech she gave, and also allegations against Joe Biden that are calling his actions into question. Namely, a number of women accusers are saying he made them uncomfortable in a series of allegations that have become all-too-common in the “Me Too” era.
Finally, we address an interesting op-ed that appeared over the weekend, penned by none other than the attorney representing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, as well as the odd series of Tweets made by the WikiLeaks foundation, claiming Julian Assange may soon be kicked out of the Ecuadorian embassy, where he has remained now for six years.
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Betty June
- Daniel Baumberger
- Robert Westfall
- Robert Walshe
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We are now also offering SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get news alerts, articles, and podcasts from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” desc=”” group=”Public”]
Finally, here are links to stories addressed on this week’s program:
- OH NO, NOT U2: Declassified U-2 spy plane photos are a boon for aerial archaeology
- YOU’RE A PRINCE: Prince William Goes Underground… Sort Of
- GROUNDED FLIGHT: Missing Malaysia Airlines plane may have secretly landed and taken off again
- SICKNESS AND SECRECY: Deadly germs, Lost cures: A Mysterious Infection, Spanning the Globe in a Climate of Secrecy
- DRINKING DIET: Ohio Man Loses More Than 30 Pounds Drinking Only Beer During Lent
- ONE NATION, DIVISIBLE: You may not believe the Mueller report no matter what it says
- SOUTHERN BLACKCENT: New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responds to claim of ‘Southern drawl’ to black crowd
- BIDEN HIS TIME: Biden says he’s not sorry for anything that he’s done
- Biden cracks jokes about conduct that women found inappropriate
- ARGUING FOR ALEX: Alex Jones’ lawyer says, “If you want the Infowars host silenced, you’re scarier than he is”
- ASSANGE MAY BE OUT: UN expert to visit Assange, assess violation of privacy claims