On this edition of Middle Theory, we remember the life and political career of the influential Arizona Senator John McCain, who passed away on August 25, 2018.
As we say so long to the month of August (and bid welcome back to those who have been “unplugged” for the last several weeks), Micah takes a moment to remind us how bad things could be… and in ancient Rome, that’s precisely how things were. Public insults in ancient Rome often were so volatile that they made today’s worst interactions on the World Wide Web look like an afternoon with the kids at the neighborhood jungle gym.
Then turning our attention to the news, we look at the bizarre claim that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was caught with transgender pornography on his phone during a live InfoWars segment, as well as the now resolved “mystery” of a woman filmed outside a Texas home wearing what appeared to be restraints of some kind… and little else. Scandals surrounding the Catholic Church are causing choppy waters for Pope Francis and the folks at the Vatican, and also, is it true that the FBI was secretly releasing information to the press, which they then exploited as a measure to assist them in obtaining FISA warrants? A North Carolina congressman seems to think so…
Then finally, we turn our attention to the passing of Arizona senator and political “maverick” John McCain, whose legacy was both respected by both political parties, and at times unpredictable. In his final act before the nation, McCain’s funeral was planned carefully with a message of unity in times of political divisiveness… and with strong anti-Trump overtones. We examine this, and the broader influence McCain had on American politics.
A special thank you to those who donated this week:
- James Malone
- Jill Ellis
- Chris Beggio
- John Lipartito
- Jessica Zuccarello
- Charles Tucker
- Mark Hankins II
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We are now also offering SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get news alerts, articles, and podcasts from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
Finally, here are links to stories addressed on this week’s program:
- ROMAN TROLLOSSEUM: Online insults nothing compared to public slander in ancient Rome
- IS AJ TAKEN WITH TRANS STARS? Jones appeared to have Marissa Minx video in the browser on his phone during live broadcast
- SOLVED, SORT OF: ‘Suspicious shooting’ leads deputies to mystery woman seen ringing doorbell
- SHOOTING IN FLORIDA: Florida shooter kills two at gaming tournament
- The media should stop making school shooters famous
- Don’t Name Them Project
- NOPE, POPE: Pope’s No. 2 says Francis ‘serene’ despite cover-up claims
- FBI LEAKING TO SUPPORT FISA: “Hard Evidence” FBI Leaked Info To Press, Used Same Stories To Obtain FISA Warrants
- MID: THE LAST MAVERICK: Senator John McCain Passes Away
- John McCain’s 2008 Running Mate Sarah Palin Is Not Invited to His Funeral: ‘It’s Sad’
- Graham: Trump’s handling of McCain’s death was ‘disturbing’
- John McCain’s Funeral Was Designed to Be a Final Swipe at Trump
- John McCain’s letter to a future Navy pilot arrived two days after his death.
- WRAP UP: Even if Trump Goes on a Firing Spree, Mueller Has a Secret ‘Parachute,’ Expert Claims
- Pence: Trump Will Be Impeached If Democrats Take House
- There’s a ton of speculation that Mueller could drop something big as soon as today
- Rudy Giuliani Is Putting Together a ‘Counter-Report’ to Question Robert Mueller’s ‘Legitimacy’