This week on Middle Theory, the issue of transgender rights takes center stage, after a Trump administration memo became public which seeks a new legal definition of gender.
As we lead off this week, we attempt to get into a “spooky” mood in the final days leading up to Halloween 2018. However, it seems we got the kind of “scare” this week none had expected or hoped for after it was reported that possible explosive devices had been sent to a number of former Democratic politicians and left-leaning news agencies. The entire situation had New York on lockdown for several hours Wednesday morning, with a dramatic evacuation of CNN headquarters in New York taking place on live television.
Then we turn our attention to a New York Times piece this week, which highlighted a memo obtained by the paper which seemingly outlines a Trump Administration objective to change the legal definition of gender. The move has many transgender activists concerned… but our focus is in seeking to understand the confusion surrounding the issue, much of which stems from the misuse of terms like “sex” and “gender” (often used interchangeably) in modern times. We take our analysis all the way back to the early days of postmodern philosophy, finally resolving in a conversation between Micah and longtime friend Richard Dolan pertaining to postmodernism, the “Intellectual Dark Web,” and ultimately whether there is such a thing as “truth” in any literal sense. Can’t we all just get along?
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Jennie Vongvith
- Ali Buchan
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We are now also offering SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get news alerts, articles, and podcasts from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
Finally, here are links to stories addressed on this week’s program:
- SAY NO TO CLOWNS: City bans clowns on Halloween
- BOMBS: Explosive devices sent to Obama, Clintons as CNN evacuated over suspicious package
- All Explosive Devices Purportedly Linked
- CNN Says John Brennan Was Target
- NYPD Sends Officers To Media Outlets Across City
- Pipe Bomb at Soros Home Was ‘Hand-Delivered’
- UPDATE: All Packages Listed Wasserman Schultz As Return Address
- No suspicious parcel addressed to White House
- Trump “agrees wholeheartedly” with Pence’s response to the attacks
- KHASHOGGI UPDATE: Khashoggi murder planned days ahead, says Turkey’s Erdogan
- GENDER BENDER: Civil rights groups call prospect of creating narrow definition of gender ‘hateful and hurtful’
- Wikipedia: Sex and gender distinction
- Romper: How To Fight The Trump Administration’s New Proposal On Defining Gender & Protect Trans Kids’ Futures