This week we delve into the sordid circumstances surrounding the disappearance and subsequent confirmation of the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Most of us are tired of politics by now, and so after an opening mantra that looks at reasons for being thankful in the Western World (peppered with a few of Nietzsche’s aphorisms), we look at some of the best of the worst political campaign ads that have aired in 2018.
Then later in the program, we shift our attention to the developments that have sparked a foreign policy debate and what some have called a crisis, pertaining to the death of Saudi Arabian critic and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, who was last seen entering the Saudi Arabian consulate on October 2nd, arriving for a scheduled appointment at 13:30 local time that afternoon. After initially denying any involvement, the Saudi government has now confirmed the death of Khashoggi, with the latest developments including the claim that a “rogue faction” of Saudis were responsible, as well as the idea that one of the alleged Saudi agents donned Khashoggi’s clothing to later make it appear he had left the consulate. We examine the complexities of the unfolding narrative and its broader-reaching effects on foreign policy in the Middle East.
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Wayne Walker
- Sean Campbell
- John Jolly
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We are now also offering SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get news alerts, articles, and podcasts from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
Finally, here are links to stories addressed on this week’s program:
- BAD ADS: Black Americans Supporting the President’s Agenda ad for Republican Rep. French Hill
- YouTube pulled GA Governor Candidate Michael Williams’s Deportation Ad for “Hate Speech”
- Arizona’s Gosar family asks voters NOT to re-elect their brother to Congress
- Gary Richardson political ad stirs controversy
- Ron DeSantis has released an ad indoctrinating his children into Trumpism
- Levi Tillemann pepper sprays himself in bizarre campaign ad
- Tucker Carlson brilliantly misses the entire point
- COVER UP: KHASHOGGI: All you need to know about the Saudi journalist’s death
- Saudis confirm Khashoggi’s death, claim he died in ‘fist fight’
- Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi Arabia calls murder claims ‘lies’
- Apple Watch worn by Saudi journalist may have transmitted evidence of his death
- Trump sending Pompeo ‘immediately’ to meet Saudi king over missing journalist
- Saudi Arabia Weighs In: Khashoggi died in fistfight at Istanbul consulate, Saudi Arabia claims
- Karen Attiah, Khashoggi’s editor, weighs in on Saudi Arabia’s “statement”
- Turkish source says Pompeo heard recording of Khashoggi murder
- Trump denies Pompeo heard recording of Khashoggi in Saudi consulate
- Turkey vows to reveal ‘truth’ on Saudi critic’s death
- All the latest updates from Al Jazeera
- Official Flip-Flop on Khashoggi Shocks Saudis