In this episode, we examine the controversy over comedian Dave Chappelle, whose new Netflix special, “The Closer”, has been criticized for its depiction of LGBTQ issues and the trans community.
This week, as the Biden White House warns that hard times await as we head into the holiday season, shortages are already on the rise as supply chain issues ensue. Meanwhile, in the aftermath of “The Great Facebook Blackout of 2021,” many tech companies are warning of even greater cyber perils on the horizon… this, and the ongoing situation in Texas, where Governor Greg Abbot has taken measures to prevent vaccine mandates in his state.
However, at the heart of the discussion this week is the controversy over comedian Dave Chappelle, whose new Netflix special, “The Closer”, has been criticized for its depiction of LGBTQ issues and, in particular, the trans community. Meanwhile, several supporters and fellow comedians have come to Chappelle’s defense, who argue that there is both a deeper message behind the raunchy Netflix special, but also more concerning issues at stake that it addresses. We wade into the controversy and try to make sense of things on this week’s edition of Middle Theory.
Coronavirus Charities: If you are able, please consider supporting the following charities that are offering relief for those affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Visit our Coronavirus Charities Page to learn more.
DOLLARS FOR DONUTS
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Betty June
- Connie Fletcher
- Jonathan Taylor
- Vicki Pinderski
- James Malone
- Emily Taylor
- Doug Davis
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We also offer SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
- HARD TIMES: ‘There will be things that people can’t get,’ at Christmas, White House warns
- Out of stock items plague grocery services
- Steaks Could Soon Become Luxury
- CYBER THREATS: Cybersecurity experts warn of killware attacks that rival ransomware
- Microsoft warns of ‘biggest cyberattack ever’ from 70,000 computers across Asia
- Why does internet keep breaking?
- BAN THE MAN: Abbott bans Covid-19 vaccine mandates by any Texas employer
- White House says ‘politics’ behind Texas governor’s executive order banning vaccine mandates
- Texas order reflects growing GOP vaccine mandates hostility
- CHAPPELLE’S SHOW: Dave Chappelle’s Latest Transphobia Controversy, Explained
- Opinion: Dave Chappelle’s Trumpian claims of ‘cancel culture’ are laughable
- So… we’re calling Chappelle “Trumpian” now?
- CANCEL-PROOF: Netflix CEO: Chappelle’s new special, criticized as transphobic, is too popular to cancel
- Netflix suspends trans employee who criticized Chappelle special, crashed business meeting
- AUDIO: ‘Disheartened’: Activist reacts to Dave Chappelle’s jokes about transgender people
- Dave Chappelle Defended By Sisters Of His Trans Friend Mentioned In ‘The Closer’
- THE CHILLING JOKE: Dave Chappelle’s pushback against cancel culture chills the joke
- Dear Dave Chappelle, transgender comedians can take a joke, but why are yours so unfunny?
- Dave Chappelle finds that mocking transgender people can revive a career
- What do comedians prove by reaching for the lowest hanging fruit?
- Damon Wayans says Dave Chappelle’s Netflix special freed comedian ‘slaves’
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.