This week on Middle Theory, Julian Assange’s critics chime in on why the recent indictments brought against the whistleblower could present serious problems for journalists around the world.
The sky is falling… for secret agent James Bond “007”. A number of recent setbacks in the filming of the forthcoming Bond film, dubbed “Bond 25” until a better name can be decided, have the Bond franchise mired in controversy… add to that the pressures of modern attitudes toward gender roles, which at times seem to conflict with the iconic secret agent and his history… is the sky indeed about to fall on the James Bond film franchise?
Then, on the subject of secret agents and espionage, we shift our attention over to the discussion of how an NSA program that was leaked online is wreaking havoc in many major U.S. cities, which are being held hostage by cybercriminals thanks to the activities of a secretive group called the “Shadow Brokers.” Elsewhere, a trove of secret recordings held by the FBI may change history if they are ever released, as they may offer a very different perspective on the life and work of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
We then turn our attention to Julian Assange, and the recent addition of 17 charges brought against the Wikileaks founder under the U.S. Espionage Act, 16 of which have to do with the communication of classified information. If the charges were applied broadly, they would seemingly implicate journalists around the world for engagement in similar activities that are considered fundamental to their profession… has the Department of Justice bitten off more than they can chew in this instance?
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Jennie Vongvith
- Ali Buchan
- Mark Hankins II
- Lauren Turinetti
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We are now also offering SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get news alerts, articles, and podcasts from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” desc=”” group=”Public”]
Finally, here are links to stories addressed on this week’s program:
- JAMES BOND: The Sky is Falling on 007
- SOCIAL SLURRING: Doctored video of Nancy Pelosi has social media giants ill-prepared for 2020
- BALTIMORE IN A BIND: In Baltimore and Beyond, a Stolen N.S.A. Tool Wreaks Havoc
- MLK: Secret FBI recordings accuse Martin Luther King Jr of watching and laughing as a pastor raped a woman, having 40 extramarital affairs
- FBI Operations at Stanford’s “The Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute”
- FLASHBACK: Explosive Martin Luther King document amid JFK files
- FROM THE ARCHIVES: National Archives Document with FBI Report Summary on Dr. King
- ASSANGE INDICTED: Assange indicted on 18 charges, raise stakes for First Ammendment rights
- Does Assange indictment set dangerous precedent for journalists?
- Edward Snowden: The Government Has Declared War on Journalism
- Fred Kaplan: The new charges against Assange are appalling, even if you despise him