This week on Middle Theory, we examine protest and unrest in response to Breitbart Tech News editor Milo Yiannopoulous; whose freedom of speech is at risk?
Kicking things off in the midst of controversy, we start off looking at the recently re-stoked debate on climate change, in which an incendiary Daily Mail article argued that a climate data report was hastily assembled in advance of a pivotal Paris Climate Summit. While skeptics argue that the work of a “whistleblower” has blown the lid on climate change, the scientific community has responded in turn… but is the real problem the way that the science of climate change has been politicized?
Then, in addition to other trending news, we look at the mystique of Milo Yiannopoulos, as we ask whether or not the controversial speaker and journalist should indeed be taken seriously… and whether he, in fact, wants to be taken so seriously himself. We argue, fundamentally, that many of the “hateful” things Yiannopoulos are indeed intended to be jokes, which nonetheless are aimed at “stirring the pot.” But is this approach an effective one, or is it purely aimed at being incendiary? Or are those who are reacting violently to Milo Yiannopoulos and his speaking engagements at American colleges missing the point entirely?
Special thanks to those who donated this week, whose contributions help support the audio production, research, artwork, and other effort that goes into each episode of the podcast:
- Steven Walker
- The Grimerica Podcast
- Rick Dale
- Betty June Farkas
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get daily news from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
Finally, here are links to show notes pertaining to this week’s podcast:
- Groundhog Day 2017: Phil says ‘long winter,’ but he was wrong before he even woke up
- Staten Island Chuck calls for an early spring
- Crowds gather on Gobbler’s Knob for Groundhog Day forecast
- Seriously… “The Secret Pizza Party” WTF?
- Kellyanne Conway criticizes media for not covering terror attack that never took place (audio)
- Big Game security: From Protests to Prostitutes, security is ready
- French Presidential Election: Wikileaks teases thousands of documents related to contenders
- WikiLeaks offers safe haven for climate change data at risk from Trump
- 474 arrested in human trafficking sting in California, 28 children, 27 adults rescued
- Twice as many suspected terrorists try to enter through Canada, not Mexico, FBI data shows
- Will Belarus be Putin’s next victim?
- Secret Docs Reveal: President Trump Has Inherited an FBI With Vast Hidden Powers
- Trump Picks Neil Gorsuch as Supreme Court Nominee
- Milo Yiannopoulos is trying to convince colleges that hate speech is cool
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ UC Berkeley Event Canceled After Riot
- I’m a Liberal, and I want Milo on my campus
- Donald Trump takes aim at Berkeley after student protests shut down Milo Yiannopoulos talk
- Cal Poly brought in 109 officers for Yiannopoulos speech for massive protests that didn’t happen
- Donald Trump Is Allegedly Changing Black History Month To African American History Month
- Update: “TMZ has removed its story alleging that Trump was renaming Black History Month, and ABC 7 has changed its live article to clarify that Trump proclaimed February African American History Month on Thursday. In addition, archived White House documents suggest that the same proclamation was made by Obama and that the story that Trump had renamed it is false.”
- A Full Transcript Of Donald Trump’s Black History Month Remarks
- Things to know about Black History Month