This week, political hijinks in advance of the Iowa Caucus lead to a Democratic Debacle, and Double Trouble as the New York Times endorses two candidates.
This week, health officials around the world are on high alert as several towns in China have been quarantined following the outbreak of a deadly strain of coronavirus. We explain what that is, and what it means, before turning our attention to a brief impeachment update that’s nearly as humorous as watching the real thing, but without having to invest hours of our lives that we’ll never get back. We also touch on dystopian future surveillance technologies, and which brings us to why Edward Snowden’s preferred journalist, Glenn Greenwald, is being charged by the Brazilian government with cybercrimes.
It’s no secret that most of us (Americans especially) are sick of hearing about partisan politics. During the second half of the program, we look at some of the reasons why, which include partisan bickering within the Democratic party, which includes a concerted effort by both politicians and the media to discredit Bernie Sanders. We also look at some of the 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s controversial attacks against not just Sanders, but Tulsi Gabbard (who endorsed Sanders in the last election).
Finally, we have the bizarre decision from the New York Times to endorse not one, but two candidates as the best “choices” for Democrats in 2020… breaking a tradition more than a century, and raising a lot more questions than answers. Fortunately, there are some signs of unity at least, as Rolling Stone writer Matt Taibi argues that the level of stupidity we’re seeing in the media right now may actually be uniting the Left and Right. Our prediction: this will likely only backfire, and if anything, aid Bernie Sanders as we head into the Iowa Caucus.
DOLLARS FOR DONUTS
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Shelli Orlandini
- Jennie Vongvith
- Jessica Riley
- Ali Buchan
- Lauren Turinetti
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We also offer SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
- CORONA EXTRA: As virus spreads, anxiety rises in China and overseas
- Answers about Coronavirus from Nebraska Medicine
- California toddler hospitalized for a MONTH with coronavirus
- BIGGER BROTHER: The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It
- GREENWALLED: Glenn Greenwald Charged With Cybercrimes in Brazil
- BERNED: Warren Says Sanders Told Her a Woman Could Not Win the Election
- CNN draws fire for debate question that ignores denial
- Warren accused Sanders in tense post-debate exchange of calling her a ‘liar’ on national TV
- QUACK ATTACK: Joy Ann Reid Invites Quack Body Language Expert on to Trash Sanders
- HILLARY 2020: ‘Nobody Likes Him’: Hillary Clinton Risks a Party Split Over Bernie Sanders
- Clinton clarifies that she will support the Democratic nominee even if it’s Bernie Sanders
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: NYT Endorses Both Amy Klobuchar AND Elizabeth Warren
- ‘You Picked Two!’: Parsing the Klobuchar-Warren Endorsement
- Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar Get Dual New York Times Endorsement
- Howard Kurtz: Why NY Times, hedging its bets, actually favors Klobuchar over Warren
- The ‘New York Times’ ‘Endorsement’ Fails Us All
- ROLLING STONED: Taibi: Media Stupidity Is Uniting Left and Right
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
Warren and Klobuchar caricatures by DonkeyHotey via Wikimedia Commons.