Tensions rise as Iran retaliates following last week’s eventful U.S. strike that killed Qassem Soleimani, and world leaders weigh the prospect of reimposing UN sanctions.
Did we say it was a tense beginning to 2020 last week? We dive into the news amidst reports of U.S. government advisories to upgrade certain operating systems and web browsers, before turning our attention to the biggest nonsensical (yet newsworthy) story of the week, involving actor Vince Vaughn’s castigation after he was filmed shaking hands with Donald Trump at a ballgame (we can’t help but wonder how Ellen Degeneres might feel about this). We also look at the official launch of the U.S. Space Force, and what that might mean for the future of America… as well as the Trump administration.
Then shifting gears, we look at updates following the retaliation by Iran in response to a U.S. drone strike that killed Qasem Soleimani, Iranian major general in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Tensions came to a head last Wednesday, leading up to an announcement from the Whitehouse that seemed to indicate a standdown by all parties; however, as European nations weigh their options facing the possibility of a nuclear Iran, discussion of imposing UN sanctions may soon be back on the table. In light of already crippling sanctions being imposed on the country by U.S. leadership, how effective would this strategy be in preventing future conflict?
DOLLARS FOR DONUTS
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Sascha Neubauer
- Bethany Trottier
- John Lipartito
- James Malone
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We also offer SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
- BACK OFF THE MIC: Microsoft is patching a major Windows 10 flaw discovered by the NSA
- VILLAIN VAUGHN: Vince Vaughn catches heat for handshake with Trump
- MAY THE (SPACE) FORCE BE WITH YOU: Space Force preparing for everything, even interplanetary operations, as it sets up
- Mike Pence swears in Gen. John Raymond as the chief of space operations
- IRAN SLAPS BACK: Iranian leader calls missile attack a ‘slap’ at US bases
- THE ADDRESS: Trump’s full address to the nation on the Iran missile strikes
- CASUALTIES: Anger in Iran over jet’s downing; gunfire disperses protests
- SOLEIMANI: The Danger From Iran Didn’t Die With Soleimani
- Soleimani Did ‘Lift a Weapon’ Against Muslims
- FACT CHECK: Supposed footage of Soleimani drone strike actually stolen from a video game
- BERNIN DOWN THE HOUSE: Bernie Sanders sounds off on potential war with Iran
- U.N.-DOING THE DEAL: France, Germany and U.K. Serve Notice on Iran Under Nuclear Deal
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.