This week on Middle Theory, the controversy surrounding Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh reaches full-tilt, following a series of accusations of sexual misconduct against him.
This week we begin our foray into the nonpartisan center with a few updates pertaining to Hurricane Florence, which includes analysis of some of the more unusual news items pertaining to the historic storm. Among these were claims of price gouging in North Carolina, reports of looting in various affected areas, and a Weather Channel clip that went viral after a weatherman appeared to be exaggerating the intensity of the storm (equally funny is how the Weather Channel executives doubled-down and defended the reporter’s exaggerated storm reporting).
We also examine how the Huffington Post may have just blown the lid on bogus reporting by the Washington Post, who appears to have taken some pretty extreme liberty with facts as it relates to some of President Trump’s policies. Elsewhere, concerns about how European copyright laws could ‘Change the Web’ if they end up being passed.
Then getting to the MID, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has landed in hot water, with recent accusations of sexual misconduct leveled against him by Christine Ford, a former high school classmate. Ford claims that Kavanaugh attempted to rape her when they were teenagers while severely intoxicated at a party they both attended; however, many are questioning the political motivations of the entire affair, and several of Kavanaugh’s former classmates have contested the narrative Ford has come forward with decades after alleged incident.
What is the truth, and will we ever really learn what really happened? Or will the mere accusation of a sexual assault attempt – whether or not it is ever proven – derail Kavanaugh’s appointment to the Supreme Court? In a unique overlapping of Trump-era political concerns and the ongoing #MeToo movement, we examine the complicated elements pertaining to this case.
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Jon Haskins (MoMS)
- Brett Giles
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We are now also offering SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get news alerts, articles, and podcasts from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
Finally, here are links to stories addressed on this week’s program:
- FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE: Hurricane Florence updates: 17 dead, including 11 in NC, as flooding continues
- These are the staggering numbers behind Florence’s wrath
- Florence: After 3,630 cancellations, flights slowly resuming Sunday
- HURRICANE CONSPIRACIES AND MEMES: Companies are being accused of price gouging on food, water, and gas during Hurricane
- Weatherman dramatically braces for Hurricane Florence while 2 guys casually stroll by
- Hurricane Cat Joins Evacuee
- Noah’s Ark: Truck driver rescues 64 dogs and cats from floods of Hurricane Florence
- 23 dead, including 17 dead in North Carolina
- HUFF PO CALLS BS: Bombshell Washington Post Story On Trump Passport Crackdown Withheld, Distorted Key Facts
- WEB REG: European Copyright Laws Could ‘Change the Web’ if Passed
- MID: KAVANAUGH, ACCUSED Brett Kavanaugh accuser wants to cooperate on investigation but not be part of ‘bloodletting’
- Student reviews of Christine Ford call her vindictive and ill-tempered
- How Brett Kavanaugh will collide with a changing America
- Kamala Harris grills Kavanaugh about Mueller Investigation
- WashPo Fact Check: Did Brett Kavanaugh signal he supports ‘going after birth control’?
- NR: Refuting Anti-Kavanaugh Smears—Manny Miranda Controversy
- 3 of 4 Alleged Party Attendees Deny Kavanaugh Accuser’s Story
- Kavanaugh ex-classmate denies being at party in assault allegation
- The Kavanaugh vote has officially been canceled