This week, we look at the problems arising from Facebook’s Oversight Board refusing to make decisions for the company about the ongoing ban of Donald Trump from its platform.
Following a ransomware attack that has left much of the Eastern U.S. with gas shortages, a State of Emergency has been declared in several states. Heading into the summer, will gas prices continue to rise about $3 per gallon, or even higher? We also look at this, as well as how the pandemic has resulted in an aluminum can shortage, the end of the combined comedy efforts of Seth Rogan and James Franco following misconduct allegations against Franco, and more.
Then turning our attention to other matters, the Facebook Oversight Board recently made the choice not to offer a decision regarding the platform’s ban of former president Donald Trump, stating instead that the company should be required to have clearer rules and policies regarding such issues. The company has drawn criticism in the wake of the situation from both the left, and the right, as it highlights clear issues that Facebook will have to now face up to with relevance to everything from propaganda, to free speech. Will the company be able to recover, or are they now in the precarious position of finding themselves “zucked” at their own game? We analyze the story and its implications on this week’s Middle Theory.
Coronavirus Charities: If you are able, please consider supporting the following charities that are offering relief for those affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Visit our Coronavirus Charities Page to learn more.
DOLLARS FOR DONUTS
A special thank you to those who donated to the podcast this week:
- Charles Baldwin
- David Beavers
- Vicky Pinderski
- Robert Westfall
- Robert Walshe
- Daniel Richard
- Jennifer Williams
- John Lipartito
- James Malone
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show, you can donate to the program here:
We also offer SUBSCRIPTION accounts for those who would like to make recurring monthly payments to Middle Theory. If you would prefer to SUBSCRIBE to the program, click here to visit our DONATES page, and scroll down below the primary DONATE button.
- SPIKE: Gas prices: Pipeline shutdown sparks worries of $3 a gallon
- FRANCO NO MORE: Seth Rogen Says He Won’t Work With James Franco After Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- BIG BILL: Bill Gates transferred $1.8B in stock to Melinda on day of divorce news
- APPEAL: A Chauvin juror participated in the 2020 March on Washington. Is it grounds for appeal?
- ZUCKED UP: Facebook tried to punt the Trump decision. That backfired
- Mark Zuckerberg can no longer deflect blame for Trump’s Facebook suspension
- ‘A total disgrace’: Trump lashes out at big tech companies after Facebook ban is upheld
- Facebook’s Oversight Board ban of Donald Trump is totally arbitrary and ideological
- Mark Zuckerberg must decide the fate of Trump’s Facebook account. He should turn to the First Amendment.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.