This week on Middle Theory, we examine the heavy issues surrounding police shootings in America, and the protests that have ensued in the aftermath.
In Baton Rouge, a young African American man, Alton Sterling, was seen being shot by police in a grisly video appearing online; one day later, 32-year-old Philando Castile, a black man with a concealed carry permit, was shot by a police officer outside St. Paul, Minnesota, as his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds streamed the aftermath live on Facebook.
24 hours later during a Black Lives Matter protest in response to the shootings, Micah Xavier Johnson, a 25-year-old gunman, opened fire on Dallas police officers. During a standoff that followed, Johnson said his aim had been to shoot white cops, and according to authorities, he had been planning a larger attack at the time of the shooting.
Protests have been ongoing in the days since the trifecta of violence involving police shootings, which have effectively become the focus of attention here in America. In the days that follow, it is our hope that peace will preside over the continuing protests, as the heavy questions about racially fueled arrests and killings by law enforcement continue to be asked.
Special thanks to those who donated this week, whose contributions help support our efforts.
- Ali Buchan
- William Lovelace
- Betty June Farkas
- John Ciambriello
If you like Middle Theory and want to help support the show as well, you can donate to the program here. Your kind contributions not only help us provide more of the content you enjoy on this program, but it helps us buy donuts… lots of donuts.
JOIN US: REACH OUT TO MIDDLE THEORY
To send us feedback, you can email us here. Also, follow Middle Theory on Twitter too… this is highly recommended, and may even be vital for some of you. Finally, as mentioned earlier, some may be further compelled to donate to the program, which helps keep ads for survival gear, water filters, male enhancement supplements, and do-it-yourself earthworm farming kits off the program.
You can also sign up for our newsletter, and get daily news from Middle Theory sent right to your inbox:
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” desc=”” group=”Public”]
Finally, here are links to stories discussed on this week’s show:
- Clinton Email Investigation Closed by Attorney General Lynch
- Clinton Email Investigation Reopened by State Department
- WikiLeaks Publishes 30,000+ Clinton Emails, says ‘she could be indicted’ based on info
- Update: Snopes Says Claim that Hillary Defended Rapist of 12-Year-Old Victim Mostly False
- Snopes: Lawsuit Charges Donald Trump with Raping a 13-Year-Old Girl
- FLASHBACK: Wealthy Indonesian Businessman Has Strong Ties to Clinton
- Minn. cop fatally shoots Philando Castile during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Facebook
- Fatal Shooting of Philando Castile Prompts Minnesota Governor to Call for DOJ Probe
- Profiled? Philando Castile had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years
- Vox Brings the Spin: “The obvious reason the NRA isn’t commenting on the Philando Castile police shooting”
- NRA comments on Castile shooting after criticism; says it’s ‘troubling’, maintains they should refrain from comment as investigation ensues
- Gun control advocates weren’t the only ones criticizing the NRA. Some of the blowback was coming from within the organization.
- 5 Statistics You Need To Know About Police Shootings and Cops Killing Blacks
- Elsewhere, Alton Sterling shooting: Second video of deadly encounter emerges
- Witness in Baton Rouge shooting says victim was ‘murdered’
- Black Lives Matter protesters return to the streets, condemn Dallas violence
- Dallas attacker was an Army veteran who targeted white officers following police shootings, officials say
- Dallas shooter was ‘delusional’, police search for clues to cryptic message “RB” written in blood
- Dallas police chief had spoken before about “the idea that snipers might attack us”
- Department’s use of bomb robot to blow up cornered Dallas suspect stirs debate
- Elsewhere, Falsely Accused, Dallas ‘Suspect’ Now Fears for His Life
- Authorities also say this highway gunman was motivated by police shootings
- Alabama deputy shot, suspect dead following hostage situation
Bahamas tells its citizens traveling to U.S.: Be careful